Saturday 11 October 2014

WHERE I WANT TO GO - Mykonos, Greece


Myko Where ? 

Mykonos is a Greek island, part of the Cyclades, lying between Tinos, Syros, Paros and Naxos. The island spans a mere area of 85.5 kilometres


Why Mykonos you ask ?

As you can tell by my last few posts, despite the cliche "Want to go to's", I love beaches, and small community feeling places. To be honest my inspiration to go backpacking around the Greek islands was inspired by a few movies (The Inbetweeners, Wog Boy 2, and Mama Mia) due to the perception of what a great time everyone has in the islands, and also because of the amazing scenery, and also not to forget the magical historical attributes the islands posses. 

"Just look ... "
Source: Mykonos Tourism

Working in the hospitality industry personally I am always on the TripAdvisor website to review my work in particular, but also to broaden my knowledge about other countries in the world, and the different places which stand out to other travellers as hot spots. Over the past 3 months I've been accumulating a little bucket list for what to see and do in Mykonos.

THE PLAN ...
(What to do ?)


Architecture: 
Visiting the amazing architecture is an absolute must on my Mykonos bucket list.
Churches, Windmills, and Traditional Greek Designed buildings such as ...
1. Archaeological Site of Delos: definitely a must as it is one of the most important historical, mythological in Greece and the entire world as it is the supposed birthplace of the twins Apollo and Artemis
2. Church of Paraportiani: another must as it is an important Religious site in Greek history
3. The Windmills (Kato Milli): located at the peak of the island, another great place of history I wish to visit

"It's very Greek ..." 
Source: Mykonos Tourism

Bars / Clubs: 
It's again, cliche, but beach parties, lane way bars are a critical element to any trip to Mykonos.
Again based on the ratings from TripAdvisor, aside from the wild beach, and cruise parties, it appears Cine Manto Mykonos is another must ! Not only does it deliver awesome entertainment throughout the day and night, it also delivers with appetising food, tranquil shade for those hot Mykonos days, and refreshing alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, as well as fun ambience. 

"Grown up ? Well then grow back down again ... the night is yours !"
Source: newaeoloshotel.com

Food: 
Yes. I am a foodie. 
Being able to finally understanding what real Kebabs taste like, taking seaside dining to a whole new definition, eating freshly caught seafood daily, and breads ! Where do I start ... Bread never tastes so good ... the oils, and vinegars the Greeks use in their breads alone has the ability to fill you up instantly ... 

I certainly intend on fasting before the trip in order to prepare my tastebuds ... 

Agio's Stefano's Voted Number 1 Dining Choice on TripAdvisor Mykonos
Source: tripadvisor.com

Interacting with the locals:
Sure travelling is about taking photos, getting out and about, and doing to touristy things, but it's also about meeting other cultures, understanding their ways of life, and especially in Mykonos, being able to learn a dance or two ... and some traditional songs to sing over a few drinks ... (well that's the plan anyway ...)

Meet the real Kings of Mykonos ... 
Source: Wog Boy 2: The Kings of Mykonos

Beaches:
As I Said before, I love the beach ...
 There are numerous beaches located throughout Mykonos, all with different target crowds, and special historical meanings, but the main reason they're on my bucket list to visit is due to the clarity of the waters 

I definitely won't forget my boardies ... 

"Crystal clear water ..."
Source: Mykonos Tourism

So how do I get there ?

Since the increased competition in the European airline industry, and the fall of the Euro dollar, flights to Mykonos are relatively cheap, however in order to experience more than just the back of another seat, I would definitely aim to spend a little bit extra and cruise around the other Greek Islands, and progressively make my way to Mykonos. 


The option is yours ... 

So ... what inspires YOU to go on new adventures ?

- Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment